Friday, September 21, 2012

Week 47: Writing up cut short due to holiday

Maximum number of words:80,000
Words typed so far:77,350
Words typed this week:1082
Words lost this week:0
Total increase:1082
Days I managed to write this week:4
Well just over a thousand words is not good progress but the fact I was writing every day made a difference. It did not produce words but it did get me to go in specific directions. The first draft is awfully bitty and I expect to have to do some serious organising of the theory section when I get back but I think I have down all I want to say even if it is not a smoothly created argument yet. I still have one theorist to put in but there is space for him.

The really good news is that I think I have sorted out what social constructionism actually is and therefore I can argue that it looks specifically at the work that is done by members of the congregation in order to create the tradition/discourse/flow that is the identity of the congregation. I am therefore in a position to go on holiday and do the work abstracting the stuff from my descriptive sections with which to organise around the central arguments of this chapter. I am going to be a lot more explicit about my interpretation in this chapter and see if that works better. I have about 5000 words to do it in and I am still trying to organise my thoughts about how best to tackle it. I suspect in three pieces. The first that looks at the types of behaviour that are associated with belonging. The second which looks at the ways people actually signal their belonging and the third that looks at the ways the community invites people to belong and marks boundaries.

Now I really do need to think about doing something about getting organised for holiday properly!

No comments:

Post a Comment