Tuesday, September 4, 2012

September Supervision and Tradition chapter in draft


Break at New Street to write this blog

Well just five weeks after the last supervision and I am back with another chapter in draft! Yes really written between two supervisions. What is more with this chapter I am far happier as the argument of the whole thesis is beginning to take form. Oh there have been ideas before but they have been implicit and not explicit. Last time I actually sat down and started writing something on theory behind it all and with chapter which is the first of the theory chapters I have been making the transition from writing mainly description to focusing on the theory. 

This chapter was shorter than previous chapters coming in around 10,000 word mark. That also was illuminating; I write 10,000 words better than I write 15,000. I seem to sprawl with 15,000 and get lost in creating the quantity, which results in overwrites, too much detail and not enough focus. The arguments get relegated to side portion. 10,000 I can sustain an argument for (or almost can, there were signs of the sprawl coming in but I was able to nip those before they got out of control). That said the middle two sections need integrating in to each other rather than being separate. I think I may have to look at how I do this. 
 
There are other caveats, I need to show a knowledge of the critiques of my theorists. I am unusual in that I have gone back to the big names, not relied on secondary opinion but I also need to show I am aware of the debate. This means more reading I am afraid but it can wait for the finalising edit form. As I suspect that one of the members at one of the placements churches wants to read this chapter in particular I may still send it to my proof readers to look through.

Other than that, before the next supervision I need to have a draft of my chapter on belonging, my cunning plan is to do the theory over the coming two weekends and then while I am away take my three descriptive chapters and basically try and work through them to see what I have relevant to the two themes that are running through it. It will be returning again and again to two themes and working them through from each of the chapters.

Two irritants I am still not registered for next year although my supervisor has filled in the relevant paper work twice. I will check again tonight when I get in and see if anything has happened and if not chase the person who was dealing with the query. Secondly I could not log in due to the login servers not being available. This was irritating as it meant I could not check for papers but I suspect there really is not going to be anything major.

No comments:

Post a Comment