Monday, August 27, 2012

Week 43: Another chapter written this time on tradition

Maximum number of words:80,000
Words typed so far:74181
Words typed this week:3545
Words lost this week:0
Total increase:0
Days I managed to write this week:3

Yes this feels impressive. I am actually smiling as I type this blog, I have spent much of the bank holiday weekend working on this chapter and I have it finished. I know what the argument I am making in this chapter and I am starting to think both on how it draws on the previous chapters and will in turn be drawn upon in the final chapter.

Now I have written it I can see that this chapter is very much about the big approach to the idea of identity, the next one is going to be about the small approach to the idea of identity, about the ways in which members shape themselves and the congregation in  order to create its identity. I hope to be able to do something similar with it.

The final chapter therefore works out on how to blend and work the whole thing together so as to create an understanding that encompasses both the big and the small. I am being forced into tackling this because I have studied congregation and congregations are neither as small as individuals nor as large as nations. The big scale stuff works very well when looking at a large scale but often fails to deal with the small scale things and the small scale things down build up too well for the large scale. There are similarities but an adequate understanding of what is going on in a congregation has to find a way to meld the two in a way that makes sense.

I am however taking this coming week off writing, not off thesis just writing, instead I will be correcting my final data chapter and sending all of them off to the congregations. As well as preparing for my next supervision. That seems to me to be plenty to do in the week. Oh I also would like to be able to sort out my registering for the University next year but that depends on the University.

No comments:

Post a Comment