Sunday, August 12, 2012

Week 41: Struggling with emphasis and detail

Maximum number of words:80,000
Words typed so far:67,661
Words typed this week:2363
Words lost this week:0
Total increase:0
Days I managed to write this week:4

I know that is last weeks photo and I will change the picture later!
 
It looks like I am getting back into my stride but this is detailed work, very detailed work. I think I have the basics of my argument around the nature of tradition  having actually sat down and revised Foucault, Weber and Althusser but I could do with some depth on the nature of collective memory as I need to work out whether there is anything more there than I already have. I suspect there isn't but I would still be interested in any theory of collective memory that is not solely word based.

The other thing is writing the tradition is very detailed work. It is not that I do not know it, but that usually I know it and don't bother with sources. I am therefore having to chase various sources to give a hint to the fact it is not just me stating things. The other thing is I have maybe four thousand words to write an account of it and that is it. So I have to be very selective. Am I for instance going to include John Owen. He is without doubt important, but what emphasis do I put on Ecclesiology within the discussion. Something are important lay involvement for instance but mainly necessity drives the English Reformed Church into it style of church government and we are far more pragmatic than our Scottish neighbours about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment