Sunday, August 19, 2012

Week 42: Better progress on the history narrative of the tradition

Maximum number of words:80,000
Words typed so far:70636
Words typed this week:2975
Words lost this week:0
Total increase:0
Days I managed to write this week:4

I know that chart seems to have come along a lot since last time but please remember that last weeks was no updated but I have done this week. The increase of 2975 is mainly writing history of the tradition. Some things have been very satisfying with doing this. I have actually spent quite a bit of time checking dates and such and what can be said is that I basically had the narrative in the right order even when I did not know the dates off the top of my head. I probably need to put more Scottish stuff in. The Campbellites as seceders from the Presbyterian churches for instance, rather than just a random American sect.

More difficult has been the task has been the knowing when to cite and when to write. I have a tendency  to want to put "William the Conqueror invaded England in 1066 at Hastings (Yeatman, R.J and Appleby S, 1931)", I am at present working on the idea that if my source is Wikipedia it does not need to be cited, if I want to cite something I need to find another source (this is not difficult). Most of the time that means I do not cite anything much. However I do have a tendency to check and double check. This is really a sign that I am slightly out of my area and do not know where I have to cite and where I do not need to.

I have two things still to do, firstly put in more Scottish history, there are bits missing that might be useful (such as secession of the Campbellites) and also the twentieth century. There really is not much to say of the Twentieth century other than stead decline. Maybe a bit about ecumenism but also the loss of civic space due to various things. Democracy and the democratic agenda might also be of interest, what do you do when people outside the church are not used to functioning on committees and your church does.

Finally no I do not have only 10,000 words to write, I have overwritten a lot. At least not too badly on this last piece, I think I may need to loose 1000 but I need to write the next section and then come back. Also at present I am very tired and getting the words out is not easy, I really hope with my extended weekend next weekend I am able to both rest and get this chapter into some sort of shape.


Yeatman R.J & Appleby S (1964 reprint) "1066 and All That" London: Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment