Sunday, February 12, 2012

Week 15: Writing going more fluently, just wish I was as good at cutting words

Maximum number of words: 80,000
Words typed so far:30,445
Words typed this week: 3103
Words lost this week: 581
Total increase: 2422
Days I managed to write this week: 4

It looks a good week and it was writing wise. I am realising the section I am at present writing of my location chapter will take about 4,000 words. I wrote 4,000 this week, there are six and a half thousand in the previous and another section to go for this data chapter. If you look carefully at the triskele you will see the start of filling in the next sub-branch on this branch. I only put one or two pieces on but you can see them.

What is being hidden in these numbers although there is that I actually still need to loose a lot of words. I have now started to find them and know what I am looking for. I had accidentally got into the habit of reminding people rather regularly that it was me that was writing. Now the thesis is written in the first person, that is fairly normal for this sort of thesis but there is no need to have a reminder that it is me every couple of lines and often these reminders are quite verbose. They need cutting and I am going to have to get rid of them! That will mean hunting during the week as the proof reader who offered to do this for me has not got back. Also I note he does not know what to look for now but I do so maybe I should just get on and do it.. The reason it is so little is I had a minor migraine yesterday which meant both the writing and the editing has had to be fitted into today.

The other good news is my NVivo files are ready and being used in anger. So the only thing I have done so far is look for something specific in my diary. I have a lot more work to do on interviews, videos and pictures. I also have two analysis books, these are books where I make notes on the congregations that appear in my thesis. The need to anonymise and present in narrative form means that I have to alter considerably the details and I am not going to remember them all in precisely unless I have notes in a journal about who is who. Even so I seem to have far too many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment