Sunday, July 1, 2012

Week 35: Making good progress during the week

Maximum number of words:80,000
Words typed so far:57,557
Words typed this week:3,732
Words lost this week:0
Total increase:3,732
Days I managed to write this week:4

Yes there has been a big increase this week and yes it feels good. That is not to say it is all good, part of that increase was doing the final changes to what I hope is a main draft of my community chapter. There was something missing and I needed to get it in but I ran out of time and did not manage to find what to remove from the chapter to get it down to its proper size so it is still a thousand plus words too big, the proof editing added about half of those words as it became clear I had to explain something.

However there was also 2641 words written on the worship chapter and the words were flowing on that. This is partly because this is my third time through this part of my thesis and partly because I am on familiar ground in that I am discussing some pretty detailed discourse work along with some statistics. Its a style of analysis that comes almost naturally to me, while the more fuzzy aspect of ethnographic analysis I struggle with writing up. Don't get me wrong I enjoy ethnography very much indeed, I could not have done this thesis if I had not but I am also a trained quantitative researcher (albeit one who believes all research is basically discursive) and I keep asking myself about my evidence, can I really build what I am building on the data I have collected.  Are my representations of others accurate, so much easier when the exact words are in the public domain. In other words I have been analysing hymns again and thoroughly enjoying it.

The final thing is I have realised there is a specific way to describe the Reformed tradition that I can use that allows both my congregations to in their own local tradition be emphasising different parts of it. These parts largely do not tie in with the Congregational/Presbyterian divide so many are fond of.

No comments:

Post a Comment