Saturday, April 7, 2012

Week 23: Working on appendices

Maximum number of words: 80,000
Words typed so far:36,185
Words typed this week:2047
Words lost this week:0
Total increase: 0*
Days I managed to write this week: 4
* due to the fact that they all are going in the appendices.

I have been dealing with a couple of case studies for my appendices. I write case studies as I am working through my thesis so as to gain an over view of the stream of events. In my first data chapter I initially included the details of the case study. At my supervisors suggestion I have taken it out and reformatted it as a case study, with the background and timeline. I have done this as well for the case study for my second data chapter. The thing was that that was a lot more in depth than the first one and it has taken me a lot of time this weekend to actually assimilate the diverse sources that I had relevant information in for the case study. I have been using NVivo a lot to find specific notes or incidences. It is even finding things that I did not know I had. I am cross with myself for not writing some notes because I have had to remember what happened on some pretty big occasions. However the core is there and I am pretty sure I have represented people fairly.

It is done so next week I am back to writing the thesis proper, as well as sorting out the submission for my next supervision. It it funny as although I am being pretty systematic I am nearly always working on two chapters at a time. I think I am happier working on the write description, write analysis, write theory rather than working in the other direction. At present there feels a smoothness in the process this way that I did not feel when I was writing it the other way around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment