Sunday, March 4, 2012

Week 18: Progress but it feels extremely slow

Maximum number of words: 80,000
Words typed so far:34,045
Words typed this week: 2603
Words lost this week: 2470
Total increase: 133
Days I managed to write this week: 4

So it looks as if I am going forward but it has been a real tough weekend to write in and I ended up doing about half the writing this evening after feeling off colour earlier. Well there is good reason for this. On Saturday one of my placement churches inducted a new minister. I was invited along to the jamboree. However that meant missing most of the day for writing. I did manage some on Friday but as I was busy Saturday I had to shop then. Finally there was a special service at church today which was followed by a meal. Yes I felt I ought to be there. Unfortunately with the weather change and all these big events I developed a minor migraine so had to come home and to bed. Then my brain did not feel like concentrating. The other thing is, it is the hardest piece of writing to date that needs re-writing. If it was hard the first time, it is doubly hard the second.

Some of the 2603 words are cheats as I had to do a massive re-write of a piece of fiction and some of them are from that. So they weren't completely lost, but as I am going to take them to my writers group I did have to abstract them from the thesis. Hopefully tomorrow night they will give me some idea of how to improve it so it actually engages the reader. That is a real challenge, because unless I do that I have not created the alternatively imagined space. If I do it for this one, then I have slightly more leeway in the others.

So with all this I am going to have to spend at least a couple of evenings this week knocking this chapter into shape. Yes I really mean this chapter is near first complete draft stage and I will have to get my head around what I put in the next chapter. I think I will start by writing some sketches.

No comments:

Post a Comment