Saturday, March 10, 2012

Week 19: First data chapter fully drafted

Maximum number of words: 80,000
Words typed so far:36,975
Words typed this week: 2930
Words lost this week: 0
Total increase: 2930
Days I managed to write this week: 4

Well I am not quite sure how to count the words this week. The 2930 is definitely the amount of increase but as I was loosing some words along the way I no doubt added more than that. However the chapter is finished.

It feels like a long haul this one and most of the struggle has been getting to grips with the literature. I am still unhappy with the depth in my review of sacred space, it feels as if there are a lot of gaps where I should be citing someone yet at the same time I am not sure who to cite. What I do know is the ethnographic stuff but this was more sociology of religion in general and I was slightly reluctant to talk about the ethnographic stuff. Then as always you think, oh I better just look at and suddenly a light bulb goes on.

What I have not done is written a concluding section, I am almost certain my supervisor is going to tell me to, and I think the only way this thesis is going to come in, on size is for me to write everything and then decide what to leave out. I  still have too much going on in my brain.

This week I have to sit down and start thinking about how community was present within the congregations. This will be an enormous task but at least I am beginning to learn how I write so I can try and do things more efficiently by working with the grain rather than trying to do what I think I should do. The thing is I work from descriptive to theoretical and sort of over lay them. So the first stage is to write some scenes. These are creative writing but based on real events. Then I go on and produce an analytic description. This is still thick but its aim is to bring out the details and processes of what is going on. The third stage is to actually do the analytic thinking and find what I want to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment