Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 12: Start of edit of Methdology Arrgh!

Maximum number of words: 80,000
Words typed so far: 24,122
Words typed this week: 2560
Words lost this week: 1861
Total increase: 741
Days I managed to write this week: 4

Guess what, I am jolly disappointed I did not manage to get rid of more words today. I need really need to loose around another 7,000 words from my Methodology chapter. I was supposed to be reducing it but my word count has actually gone up by 741 words. One's methodology should not be quarter of the total thesis. I am sorry but that is unbalanced. I know I am a methodologist at heart but really I could do better than have it as long as it is. I want ideally to get it down to about 15,000, that is about another 7,000 words to loose. Oh dear but  I have also come to the conclusion that it is a blob for each hundred words written whether or not they make the final thesis so you can see quite a bit of purple has gone on this week. Anyway click on the small Wordle below to see a bigger wordle of what is in my Methodology chapter. It would be nice to be able to tell it when to read words as separate and when to combine, for instance Ethnography really does not need separating off from ethnographer nor congregation from the plural congregations . However I feel it is a fair portrayal
Wordle: Jengie's Methodology Chapter
The good news however is I have found books that talk about sociology of space. So I feel a bit dumb for not realising that I should have looked at social or cultural geographers! That said they are a lot easier to read than the French philosophical theorists and I am actually enjoying the one book I have been reading and suspect another will be as good. Treating space rather than as a set field but made up of the arrangement of objects. An interesting idea. Only thing is I could have done with having these read over Christmas but I was not aware of them then. Writing something four days a week really makes for a discipline in reading. More and more I am using Pomodoro to get bits and pieces done. Next week it is back to trying to write about location.

No comments:

Post a Comment