Friday, November 25, 2011

Week 7: Oh dear lost some words

Maximum number of words: 80,000
Words typed so far: 15,965
Words typed this week: 2,868
Words lost this week: 1,286
Total increase:1,582
Days I managed to write this week: 4

Well I wrote over 2,000 words this week but I went to my supervision and my supervisor rightly pointed out that I was putting in words into sections where they did not belong.

One of these sections was probably about 200 words, the other of these sections was over a thousand, so I had to edit them both out and put them in oddments files incase I wanted to take the words and put them back in later in the right place. I hope I now have the right stuff in the methodology about autoethnography and I think I have most of my ethics written. My section on writing is off with the proof readers. Now all I have to do is decide what to do with the auto-ethnography as most of the section has been to the proof readers already.

Oh one of life's ironies looks like it is going to happen next week. On Wednesday the UCU is on strike. Most students seem to get unhappy about cancelled lectures and such. Me? Well I am a UCU member, so I won't be working, however I will be using the extra day to do more work on my thesis. It would be good to have an extra reading day in the middle of next week, as I should be making in roads into my first theoretical section. Where I stand with respect to the research methodology I am working in.

The tradition is Ethnography, my stuff is really straight down the middle. I have done research in other traditions but the way this worked it just made sense to stick with a single methodology. It is a qualitative tradition and no I have not run away from the quantitative methodology because I can't handle numbers, nobody reading my thesis would think that and anyway I am a Statistician. Rather what I wanted to study was conceptually more amenable to an ethnographic approach. That is not what I am going to argue, rather it is to explain what makes ethnography, ethnography as opposed to any other qualitative technique. Then I have to take a more social constructivist approach rather than a realist but then add into the complexity that I believe that academic tradition actually partially shapes what you find. So I talk about culture because I am doing ethnography.

The other thing I have started doing is creating pen portraits, scenes and so on for the two congregations. These aren't for the thesis directly they are ways of me thinking myself into the congregations.

Oh well it should take me a couple of weeks to do then that is the methodology put to bed until I come to the final review.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, it looks like the weekly discipline of blogging is serving you well. Think how satisfying (and beautiful) the triskele will be when it's full!

    I found that I was moving sections around right until the last minute in my thesis. The whole thing finally 'clicked' about 2 weeks before submission. Before that I had sections which I knew I wanted in the thesis but it took ages to figure out exactly where. I reckon that for me it was when I did figure out what went where that was when I knew it was going to be OK and that I would be able to submit something I was happy with.

    ReplyDelete