Saturday, October 29, 2011

Week Three - help a conference is coming up!

Maximum number of words: 80,000
Words typed so far: 8,881
Words typed this week: 3,129
Days I managed to write this week: 5

Well as you can see from the word count and the number of days this week, I have now written over 10% of my thesis, also I have finished the bulky part of the chapter and started one of the smaller parts. On Tuesday  I had the first bit of my thesis writing back from my supervisor with only two corrections!  One sentence to cut out and another sentence to put in otherwise it was fine. I don't suppose this is normal and It was also only around 3,500 words long, so not even 5% of my thesis.

However next week I am actually going to have to take a break from my thesis writing. I can feel fairly relaxed about this as I have a week in hand, but that is not the reason. On Monday this week I learnt that there was a postgraduate conference happening on one of the major strands of my thesis. However it was happening in December and I had to enrol by next Monday and if I wanted to present a paper then I also need to have the abstract written by then! Gulp!

It is on topic and by Tuesday when I saw my supervisor I had managed to think of a way to write a paper drawing on material I have already prepared for other reasons that actually sounds quite good. So  I have enrolled and found accommodation but like many, many academics at conferences I am going tomorrow to write the abstract and only then start writing the paper.

2 comments:

  1. My usual thing is to write the abstract months and months in advance, then a couple of weeks before the conference come to actually write the paper, look at my abstract and have no idea at all what I was thinking! I suspect your way's probably better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your way is normal, my supervisor admitted to the "Help did I say I was going to speak about that" moment before each conference, and I have spent a fair bit of time revising hurriedly put together abstracts into something that was presentable (the perennial problem is that the findings change between abstract and presentation). So experience says to me this is normal.

    ReplyDelete