Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Last Supervision

I am in Costa surrounded by exam anxious students. I have about half an hour before I need to head off for my superiors leaving do. The department at the last minute decided to invite his Phd students Normally l would send apologies but as I was in Birmingham for a supervision it felt churlish not to go. So I am off for an Indian with a group of people I vaguely know.

Today is anyway my last supervision so may be there is something of an end term feel about it for me to. I made the mistake of trusting the Met Office forecast and I brought a coat. It has of course been sunny all the time I have been here. Oh well perhaps I will need it on the journey back.

The supervision consisted ofworking through many minor edits. The biggest one is the requirement to assert my originality. It is no longer good enough to be original (my examiners are quite clear that I am) you also need to be prepared to shout to the world that you are. Anyway the abstract needs rephrasing to say so and l need to add one paragraph to the belonging chapterand rewrite a section in the epilogue to cover this.

That does not sound much but I have to cut 20, 000 words from the thesis. This is going to be a painful tedious edit as there is no extraneous sections. Thus, I will have to edit the whole thesis cutting small diversions and trying to shorten sentences. I will do it at the same time as working though the minor corrections. As this is pure editing andnot rewriting I am giving myself a fortnight to do it. So I am looking to submit early June.

Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment