Sunday, January 4, 2015

Supervision coming up and another chapter off

I know a long time and no posts! I did finish my introduction before Christmas and get it off to my supervisor about the 20th but it was late that evening and there is a restlessness with little bits I want to add and correct but we shall see when I talk to my supervisor this week.

Christmas was a break from thesis although not without its own stresses. Not sure I have properly recovered from it quite yet. However, I have got down to the Methodology chapter and made quite a few changes on that.  I would have been finished mid-day but I lost all yesterday's corrections at 10pm last night! I am using Grammarly and it shuts down if I save a document. So I tend to save less often and yesterday I was on a role and really sorting things out. The result was I forgot to save at all. Then Word crashed and I had forgotten Word does not save interim versions if you are using Grammarly. Needless to say, I have been saving regularly today, but I do think I have lost some really good writing.

Anyway needs must, so today I sat down and just worked solidly through editing. It was helped by the fact that last night I discovered how to stop it telling me every time I used a passive verb and a personal pronoun. I know passive verbs are not good writing style and that in academic writing the personal pronoun is frowned upon but put the two injunctions together and it is nigh impossible to write anything. Indeed historically scientific writing has always used passive verbs for this reason.  Annoying is that I can only turn off both. I would like to turn off personal pronouns and not passive verbs.

Anyway tomorrow is largely a day off. I have got an appointment on the morning, will then go swimming and attend my writers group on the evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment