Sunday, November 30, 2014

St Andrew's Day End to Acwrimo, but not finished

Well I am writing to the line as today is the Acwrimo. I technically have failed to get through what I set myself to do. I wanted this chapter finished and I did not get there. It will take me the next two weekends to get to the stage when I can send it to my supervisor. This was the original plan before AcWriMo  but I was hopeful as I have useful ways to spend the extra two weeks. I have however finished expanding the section on Congregational Studies and am largely happy with it. Indeed it has become a lot stronger and more interesting. All I really need to do is think whether I need to give one of the questions of my thesis around what role worship plays within the identity.

In some sense the easiest bit is the bit I have left to last. So I hope that next weekend  I can expand the literature review on the theorising of identity so that it looks and feels more like a traditional literature review. In some parts that is the easiest point as it is the stuff that I have revised most often in the process of putting this thesis together. Ironically it is also the most wide ranging of reviews.

Time wise however next week is time poor with respect to thesis. This week for work I am at a focus group in London.  It is a once in six month meeting and it just happens to be next week. It is in London because it is winter, and coming further North in the UK is fine for Southerners when there is a chance of decent weather but not when it gets dark early in the evening. So all us Northerners (some  have to travel over twice the distance I do) have to head down to balmy London. I wonder if the Scots fly down to these events. Then next weekend my nephew is coming to stay for a weeks work experience. So I need to fit working around him as well.

Anyway there are some good aspects to having had a go at Acwrimo as well.
  1. It got me writing again and I am enjoying the writing far more this time. I have not got the space in my timetable this revision I had when doing the original writing, but  I do find that writing expands to fill the time I allow it.
  2. I learnt again that I need to have music on when I am writing but not Ravi Shankar. I automatically get up and do something different every time he comes on my play list. I guess I better remove him from it before next weekend.
  3. Jogging is good for writing. Now I am slightly jogging phobic. This dates back to my late teens when I tried to get into jogging just before I became ill. The result was I associate jogging with being ill. However, as part of my getting fitter, I need to be road fit as well as generally fit. That means I actually need to be either walking or running on tarmac surfaces for quite a distance. Well walking for miles just does not fit into my timetable most of the time. So I gave in and am trying jogging. The surprise is that I have a better writing day if I jog first thing in the morning. It seems to get the antsy mood out of me and I settle quicker into writing.
So yes I have not completed what I set myself to but I am pleased with what has been achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment