Sunday, April 6, 2014

I am Submitting: or the final stages

This will be brief, there will be a much longer post on Tuesday but I have been off work since Thursday and been finishing off my PhD. There were bits and pieces to do. The first couple of days was spent on the bibliography. I had to do three things.
  1. Make sure every time I had referenced a text that was linked to the Bibliographic database. At various stages in the editing some referenced links had been lost. I therefore had to make sure all were active.
  2. Make sure I had to make sure that every reference that I referenced was correctly and fully entered in the database. Unfortunately about three websites had disappeared. Two do not matter as they were esoteric denominational stuff. The third site was a very nice introduction to a theme. I did find it, but it is behind a paywall and it is an old version. 
  3. I  had to make sure that the way the citations were happening was fine. This was a problem as the information my supervisor wanted me to put in was not standard and he was quite precise over several details. I needed to include original issue date, I needed to have page numbers just as numbers and I needed with book sections to bold the book and italicise the chapter title. I also for my own good practice standard needed to include the date when I accessed any webpage (see previous point). This involved me using CSL editor to create my own style.
After that it was layout.  It has taken me the best part of two days to meet the University requirements. The biggest pain of the whole lot is the requirements for figures. They want the figure number above and the caption below! You'd be surprised how many ways Word can mess this up and decide it is not going to behave. Anyway that will have to be sorted tomorrow in work where I am printing before I do anything else about printing. I also will need to redo the contents and the figures listing at the front of the text.

The other last minute thing was writing the acknowledgements. I have written them but just realised I should get them sent around people so that they had a chance to object. So I am hoping that they are happy as I really cannot do much editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment