Sunday, March 30, 2014

Getting there, or editing is now over

Paper Ready for Printing
Well I went wild on Friday and bought two reams of paper for printing out my doctorate. That was my way of encouraging myself to actually finish the proof review of my thesis.
Friday I spent quite a bit of time getting the chapters on Community and Worship up to standard. Then Saturday I spent the whole day trying to remove words from the chapters on Location, Community and Worship. In the end I gave up and removed a section. However, I shortly afterwards spotted that my chapter on Belonging length included the Bibliography at the end. This gave me enough space to put it back in and I am about 500 words under my word limit of 80,000. Actually I might be quite a bit lower than that as I am at present counting labels to charts and graphs but I would say less than 0.5% off the total is not bad.

Oh one little detail, I describe at one point someone going out for a "fag-break". Now I know that technically that should be "cigarette-break" but I have never heard that used by anyone. The break is always a "fag -break" whether it is people going for one or people talking about someone going for one. So my decision was to leave it in that form in my thesis.

Today I have been working through the chapter on Belonging and the Conclusion. These were far more finalised than the rest although it looked as if my English was more unconventional in the Belonging chapter. So the text for submission is now finalised, now all I need to do is the mechanics of laying it out, getting all the papers in the right order and printing. Oh I do have one more piece to write and that is simply the piece that is for acknowledgements. So one of my jobs this week is to look through other people's acknowledgements and to record them.  Apart from that I will be doing my best not to become hyper over referencing styles and layouts. One job next weekend is to check every single reference in the thesis and make sure the references look right. I have well over two hundred references.

This feels very strange and I suspect the feeling will continue to build as I go through the next ten days that are before submission.

No comments:

Post a Comment