Sunday, December 1, 2013

Starting Advent and Starting to see the Form Emerge

Seasonal Lights in City Centre
Well I have sent the chapter on flows to my supervisor yesterday. That means he has three chapters to discuss with me next week. Actually I am very tempted to try and get a fourth one to him even if it is not quite up to the readiness the other chapters are. That is because as part of my rewrite of it I will start to be putting in the new focusses to that chapter, and that should change the feel of it substantially. The flows chapter was in the end a matter of cutting a lot so relatively easy to get into the right form. This next chapter needs more fresh writing. Indeed I sat down today with a pen, paper and timer and wrote against the clock. Actually what I produced in the time will mainly go in the bin, but at the end of it I carried on writing, and I actually started to write something worthwhile which can form the basis of the extra bit I need to write.

Now I am struggling with how to edit the rest of this chapter, there are detailed edits to be done but there is also structural work. Do I correct the detailed edits and then do the structural work knowing that I might not need to make all the edits or do I do structural work and then sit down and work through the detailed edits which now might be in a totally different place. Decisions, decisions.

I also would be further on if there had not been two power cuts this weekend. This has delayed writing although both were at night. Once I know the power is off, and I nearly always am woken by it going off, I only sleep lightly until it comes back on. So I have needed to catch up on sleep once it was on. Todays was worse as it was still off at breakfast time so I went out to get a coffee to warm up and only returned once it was on. Still not used my emergency camping stove but was glad I had it and was wondering whether I should invite the neighbours around for soup.

This evening went to the cathedral having forgotten it was advent 1. So ended up with triple the usual congregations or more in the same space. Sheffield Cathedral has building works so it was in St George's chapel. That said it was not over full and I managed to find a corner where I was almost tucked behind a pillar. Unsurprisingly the whole message was "Be prepared" but I am getting that rather a lot these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment