Sunday, November 24, 2013

Back into editing after holiday

A tree with red rather
than brown leaves


Well I am back in Sheffield, and I am back to editing. This weekend I have started to edit the chapter on flows. This is the chapter that came out of the final position and has now moved into the first chapter.

The picking up was hard, I had taken a complete break while away. However this weekend I have managed to slowly work through it. I also spent some time watching videos on Fluid Dynamics as a way to fairly quickly get back into the metaphor. The problem was that it pointed out to me ways that I had stretched the metaphor which do not exactly work. So there was quite a bit of rewriting to do.

There was also a lot of cutting that needed doing. When it was at the end of the thesis I had to pull bits from the description chapters into this chapter to connect. Now I have to do it the other way around and draw on the metaphor when I come to working in those chapters. I also had to rewrite totally the conclusion to this chapter as it was doing the wrong thing.

However, my break has clarified two things. Firstly this chapter is arguing that the metaphor is important to the way a subject is understood and therefore we need to be a lot more clear about our metaphors. Secondly my three descriptive chapters will each pick up one of the elements of the metaphor I have picked up in this chapter. Thus giving them an analytic as well as a descriptive function within the thesis. This was clearly lacking in what I have written previously and works quite easily with the rewritten chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment