Sunday, July 28, 2013

Settling down to producing a good proof

One of the oddities of this summer is that sometimes to mark the end of a day I am having a gin and tonic. Now do not get me wrong, the surprise is not me having a long slow slightly alcoholic drink in summer; it is that it is a gin and tonic. My usual preference is for Whisky and Ginger, but this year that feels just too strong a flavour set, so a Gin and Tonic it is.  Tonight's is to mark the fact that I have finished the last part of my second draft. I have gone back through my conclusion and sent off a second draft to my supervisor. I am pretty sure that this version is fine. The changes were actually quite small just really connecting my conclusion back to the literature I have used in the introduction. I considered for a while putting in something by my suggested examiner but decided that that is probably better off in the relevant chapter.

So this evening I have spent time checking what pieces I had in proof read form. This is not simple as some chapters have been several times in different forms to my proof readers. Indeed at least one chapter got pulled out of second draft and restructured pretty late on. I had to email my proof readers to see if they had done a couple of chapters that I could not find. However next week I start the process of proof reading and compiling the whole document! I will start with the one chapter that still needs a small amount of structural editing. I wrote stuff that needed to go into it in my initial conclusion instead of what needed to be in the conclusion.

Family wise, we are hoping Dad will come out of hospital on Monday or Tuesday. If that is the case my sister is still talking of bringing the kids over on Tuesday for the annual swim and Chinese. Then deal with anything that needs dealing with in the evening. I think I will also go over on Thursday, fetch anything needed from my parents house and then go and see them. So there is plenty to keep me out of trouble.

Apart from that this week I have to pull together all the bits and pieces dealing with that and hopefully next weekend I can get through that and maybe start on the next one as well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment