Monday, July 22, 2013

Now to put the whole thing together

Train coming into University Station
This was a strange supervision in someways. Not least because this month I was half expecting with the struggle that was going on over previous weeks for my thesis to be delayed again. I really had only had the last weekend as solid writing and though I had played with the introduction in the first few weeks and I had done some reading while sitting my Mum. (For those that do not know there is more info in my previous blog post). So I did not feel as if I had got time to work on it. Indeed unlike last month when I spent a couple of partial weekends not drafting my conclusion, I sat down yesterday with the idea that I had to get something down and ended up with a half way decent draft. It needs some more connecting with the literature which will connect it back to the introduction and the rest of the thesis.

That means several things. Firstly I need to put in my notice to submit in the next few days giving my submission date as 31st October. Secondly I have to pull the full thesis together, go through doing all the proof reading, minor editing and creating the bibliography, page numbering, add the appendices etc. It has to be with my supervisor by 16th September. Finally one more supervision in October to have a full review of the thesis. In other words if life does not bowl me another curved ball everything is in order for submitting in the middle of the autumn much to my surprise.

However I am fighting a battle with University of Birmingham administration to get registered for next year. You would think that Universities would be eager to take money and get students enrolled but at present they will not even investigate why I can not enrol. This means that come September they start hassling me to do things when it is them who have been the delay.

Not to have a proper grump, the rennovations at Birmingham New Street are a total pain at present. To get home I had to:
  1. Come up from platform 8
  2. Go through two ticket barriers to get to WH Smith
  3. Go to where the lift to platform 12 was only to find it out of order
  4. Walk back through both ticket barriers
  5. Go back down to platform 12 and take the steps down
On the way down I saw a disabled person on crutches struggling to get up to street level. To put it mildly I was not impressed.

Anyway despite the ridiculous amount of hassle this month it looks as if everything is still on line for an October submission.

No comments:

Post a Comment