Sunday, April 28, 2013

Getting back into the flow of writing after a short break

Yes that is my desk, it at times gets clearer but then books and stuff land back on it! I should perhaps admit that I also have a main computer on a different table just off to the side where I am doing most of my writing. I am at the stage where the effort to clear the desk is more than I can find time to do at one swoop while doing thesis. The book shelves are actually getting more sorted and when I am finished I am promising myself a proper sort out.

Anyway this weekend I have actually had quite a good session on writing up, that is I think I have achieved in the last two and a half days what I intended to achieve. That is I have managed to get a draft 2 version of the chapter on flows and it has started to hang together. I have also started the reorganisation of the chapter on community. That means that next weekend if I continue working fluently I may manage to get that also into draft, which makes it totally reasonable to have a good go at the chapter on worship.  I still need to loose words but not many.

The big challenge is the chapter on methodology. Actually now that I have my examiner I suspect that is coming more straightforward and I should actually manage to do it. Oh I have found something out, that like driving, I get less easily distracted when writing if I have music on.

Actually I suspect supervision was a turning point. That is my brain has taken the step of think that I am actually in the last stages. That means three things: firstly to some extent my concentration has improved, I have actually started looking through the process of submission and secondly I am actually beginning to think slightly more realistically about what will come afterwards. One thing I have discovered is that I can submit in any font I want to as long as it is clear. That in some way has got the visual part of my brain working. Now do not get me wrong I do not want an outlandish font, but I do want to give it some consideration.

Another query, I seem to recall somewhere that Marilynne Robinson talks of her own congregation as her village. Unfortunately I suspect I picked this up off the radio, does anyone know a reference to anything similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment