Sunday, June 17, 2012

Week 33: Slow week but I have started the next chapter

Maximum number of words:80,000
Words typed so far:51,825
Words typed this week:1539
Words lost this week:0
Total increase:1539
Days I managed to write this week:4

Well the new chapter has started for real this week. I have been drafting the opening scene. This is one of those times when re-creating a scene is very useful theoretically. I am beginning to be able to reflect on the forces and constraints that shape a given enactment of a liturgical practice. Admittedly the one I have chosen to portray is chose because I thought it was interesting in its own rights. However even the act of portrayal has had to be handled carefully. It is not enough that I portray it realistically, I have to watch that I leave individual's theological stance honest and not try to co-opt them to my own views, I perhaps tend to be on the high side for URC, but what is really interesting is that being high or low sacramentally makes a difference in the liturgy used but differences in wider management do not seem to stem from that dimension.

This coming week I am at Reformed Spirituality meeting a Westminster College which should be good. Partly because there is chance to engage with a paper by David Cornick but also because I am spotting that I am flagging and am aware that I have been writing almost continuously since October and that makes for a endurance week as I need to find the time to do quite a bit around writing. I will not stop writing this week, I also will try and take some books on worship/ritual/liturgy maybe even some from a Reformed understanding. My task for writing for next week is to write about a normal church service within the URC. It is an interesting task as the role is to also explore on what looks at the surface a very similar act of worship regardless of where you go, how the two congregation I went to nuanced it and the ways that they sort to shape it to their own ideas of what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment